The estate of Peter Nicolay has its origin at the beginning of the 19 th century in the old post-house and adjoining inn „Zur Post“ in Uerzig/Mosel. The fame and renown of this inn spread throughout the whole of Germany due to the great passion of the buxom wife of Peter Nicolay (1820-1896) for her profession, for excellent cuisine and for her wine cellar.
Heiress of Peter Nicolay was his niece Magarethe, married to Carl Hubert Berres (1862-1942). Since the time of Napoleon Bonaparte, the family Berres-Nicolay had owned vineyards, most of which were situated on land originally owned by the two old abbeys of Himmerod and Springiersbach, the coat of arms of which are licensed to be shown on the label of the Nicolay wines.
By the beginning of the 20th century, the house of Nicolay was sending its wine all over the world and even had an affiliated company in London.
In the past it has had the honor of being purveyor to the court of the German emperor in Berlin, to the House of Lords in London (1913), to the Grand Duke of Luxemburg (1916) and to the court of the Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen(1909).
The many high distinctions, ranging from honorary state trophies from the Prussion Ministery of Agriculture to the awards from the Agricultural Board of Rhineland and later Rhineland-Nassau, testify to the growing reputation and the widespread fame of the house of Peter Nicolay, never betraying the tradition of good service created by the buxom landlady in the late 19th century.
The heiress of Carl Hubert Berres was his granddaughter Helga, married to Dr. Peter Pauly, owner of the Dr. Pauly-Bergweiler estate. Helga´s father died when she was young so that she soon became involved with the management and the tradition of her grandfather´s estate of Peter Nicolay. In October 1986 she became solely responsible, and since then both estates have been administrated from Bernkastel.
In 1980 modern production facilities were built which allow careful control of the fermentation and maturing process. The results are healthy, exciting wines whose distinct character is the hallmark and pride of the Peter Nicolay estate.
The most famous wine villages of the district Mosel-Saar-Ruwer are situated in the heart of the Middle Moselle. Until the French Revolution this famed wine region was the proud property of the Archbishops of Treves and the rich abbeys Himmerod and Springiersbach.